Ellensburg Real Estate
Ellensburg was officially incorporated on November 26, 1883. John Alden Shoudy came to the Kittitas Valley in 1871, and purchased a small trading post from Andrew Jackson “A.J.” Splawn, called “Robber’s Roost.” Robber’s Roost was the first business in the valley, other than the early trading that occurred among Native Americans, cattle drivers, trappers, and miners. Robber’s Roost was located on the present-day 3rd Avenue, just west of Main Street near the alley. There is a placard on the wall commemorating the location, as well as a small stone monument against the wall on the sidewalk. Shoudy named the town after his wife, Mary Ellen Shoudy, thus officially began the city of Ellensburgh around 1872. Shoudy was not the first settler in the Kittitas Valley, nor was he the first businessperson, but he was responsible for platting the city of Ellensburgh in the 1870s, and he was the person who named the streets in the downtown district.
Official Site: https://www.ci.ellensburg.wa.us/